As summer winds to an end, it’s time to start thinking about cold weather. If your garage doesn’t have weatherstripping around the edge, or your current weatherstripping is worn down, you should replace it while it is still warm outside. If you don’t, you will be wasting valuable energy to heat loss, and allowing more dirt and debris inside your garage than necessary.
The first step is identifying whether or not your weatherstripping needs replacing. When your door is closed, feel along the door to check for air leaks. If you have adhesive-backed foam tape stripping, check to be sure it is not pulling away from the door or falling off. Rubber and vinyl weather stripping can become dry, brittle and cracked, and metal weather stripping can bend out of shape or crack. Be sure to examine your weatherstripping when the door is both open and closed.
Once you have determined that your weatherstripping needs to be replaced, make sure that your surface is smooth, clean and dry. If you are using adhesive backed tape, the old adhesive needs to be removed before you can put down new stripping.
If using adhesive-backed stripping:
1. Remove the backing and press firmly in place. Make sure to remove the backing as you go, instead of all at once.
If using nail-in rubber or vinyl stripping:
- Unroll the weather stripping and pull up to top of the garage door on one side. The short side of the form strip should be against the frame of the door, while the longer side is pressed lightly against the garage door.
- Nail one nail into the door frame to keep the stripping in place.
- Place nails in the stripping every inch along the frame.
- At the bottom of the door, trip the stripping with an inverted “V” shape angle so it can be tucked under the door.
- Attach stripping along the top of the door.
- When you reach the sides, trim the weather stripping so that it meets the side pieces. Do not leave overlap between the weatherstripping pieces: this can let in air or dirt.
Weatherstripping can add comfort and energy efficiency back to your garage. We offer numerous kind of weatherstripping for all size garage doors. Contact us with any questions, or see our product gallery.